Filled with character and charm, this quintessential historic Concord Center home is ready for you to move right in. Sited on .54 level, landscaped acres, this 4-bedroom, 2.5 bathroom home is rich with history. Now extensively restored and renovated, the home’s character is seamlessly met with modern space and conveniences, with nothing left for you to do but enjoy. The first floor features a newly renovated family room with oversized fireplace, large eat-in kitchen with marble and granite countertops, top of the line appliances, separate bar area, eating area, sunny sitting area, and built-in desk. The kitchen, family room, and living room with second fireplace all open to an expansive private flat, yard with deck for play, gardening, or entertaining. Gardening shed and fire pit also complement the generous, professionally landscaped and fenced yard. Plenty of extra spaces including a bonus room over the garage, perfect for a home office, playroom or exercise room, a fully functioning attic, a spacious basement for additional storage and a 2 car attached garage with mudroom. Much to love and enjoy in this Historic Concord Center home!
- Based on Concord records and dating of timbers in the house, 61 Lang Street was built in 1878 as a barn to the Block House, the original fortress of the town (which was later upgraded to a home). It was located where the Middlesex Savings Bank sits now on Main Street. The library has a photo of the structures in that location in 1919.
In the winter of 1920, to make room for the new bank, both buildings were skidded over the ice and a town dump (where Walgreens and The Concord Market are now). The house was dropped to the left of the dump (the big white house currently on Lowell Road) and the barn continued onto what was then still the Lang Farm. The ceiling in the now living room is the original slatted floor of the former hay loft above. Lang Street had been laid out shortly before that to give access from Monument Street to the train station located where Concord Lumber is now. The property was originally two buildable lots that were merged in 1986.
Sometime later, believed to be in the 1940s, the barn was converted into a house. By the 1950s, Judge Eaton was residing there and raised his children there. At some point it changed hands to Virginia Fresha the daughter of Mr. Hoar who donated Great Meadows to the National Wildlife Service. In 1986, Ms. Fresha sold the home to the Beineckes who then sold it in 2010 to the Johnsons.
- The house received substantial improvements in 1986 as much of it was in its original state from the barn-to-house conversion. In 1988 the family room, attached garage, and bonus room above were added and in 1996 the sunroom was added off the kitchen. In 2009 the B-Dry system was installed in the basement along with a new deck along the back of the house. In 2010, the home was fully updated again with new electrical, wood floors, plumbing, and HVAC, along with a massive kitchen and powder room renovation, including radiant heat floors and new sliding doors. Also in 2010, the chimney was re-tucked and pointed with new flashing added. 2015 involved replacement and/or complete restoration of the entire split rail fence, front stoop and sidewalk, roof, insulation, and windows. In 2016 the family room was fully renovated with new floors and a fireplace along with the new mudroom and main floor AC. In 2017 the house was painted and the firepit added. In 2018, a new heat exchanger, sump pump and family room slider door were installed, and in 2019 an entire new high-efficiency steam boiler was installed.
- Sited on a .54 acre lot. Over the past 10 years, extensive work has been done to the lawn and landscape to provide for over a ½ acre of a cleared, flat and private usable yard that includes an irrigation system and electric dog fence along with split rail fence. The home has Town water and sewer, extensive storage (including a large shed out back), is in the North Bridge Historic District, and its convenient, walk-to-town location also sits on a large system of walking and biking trails.
Interior (More Info)
Exterior (More Info)
Utilities (More Info)